• What to do if your child needs special education services

    If you have a preschool child and you have noticed that your child is not developing skills such as walking, talking, or playing like other young children, you may want to talk to your family doctor. They may be able to reassure you that children develop at different rates, and your child is within the normal developmental scales. However, if the doctor is concerned, or you are still not comfortable with your child’s progress, you may wish to make a referral to your school district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).

    If your three-year-old child received services from the Early Intervention Program and is in need of special education services, your child will need to transition (move) from the Early Intervention Program into the preschool special education program. 

    If your school-age child is having difficulties in school, first talk to their teacher. There are many supports for students within regular education such as psychological services, speech and language improvement services, curriculum and instructional modifications, and Academic Intervention Services (AIS/title). The district utilizes  Response to Intervention (RtI) and our Pupil Study Team to develop plans for children utilizing the supports mentioned above and others. If you have additional concerns about the process, please contact the Committee on Special Education (CSE) office.

  • Committee On Preschool Special Education (CPSE),  the Committee On Special Education (CSE) and Section 504

    Every school district has a Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) and the Committee on Special Education (CSE). The CPSE is responsible for children ages three through five with disabilities. The CSE is responsible for children with disabilities ages five through 21. 

    Section 504 is part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 that applies to individuals with disabilities. To qualify for a 504, a student must have been identified as having a diagnoses that shows the individual has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

    You know your child better than anyone else, and you have valuable knowledge to bring to Committee discussions. Other members of the Committees are people who have a broad range of experiences planning for and/or working with students with disabilities. Together we will work to make sure that special education programs and services are provided to meet your child’s needs.